About Me

This is my attempt to chronicle my journey from one edge of this country to the other; my 8,000 mile adventure from Alaska to North Carolina. Having woken up each day of the last 5 years in a place that most only ever dream of seeing, I am forever changed by the experiences those years have brought my way; the people I have met, the places I have been, and the images of pristine beauty that are forever burned into my memory.

Where I'm Headed!

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Wrong turn, missed turn. I don't know!


Today was a pretty good day. I think this is the earliest I have ever gotten off the road and actually crawled in the back of my car to call it a night. Was also one of my farthest days. Logged 475 miles today! Before leaving the campground this morning, I was talked into go to the Pancake feed that the place puts on each morning. I've been skippin breakfast so I can get on the road quicker, but such wasn't the case this AM. I was typing in my car when an autistic kid walks up and begins talking to me. It was hard to understand everything he was saying, but he really wanted me to go eat breakfast. I think he was trying to round up anyone that he could! So I figured what heck, I'll just go ahead and eat. I joined him and his grandparents who probably had cared for him for most all of his life. It was enjoyable and was nice chatting with them. I went across the street to fill up and ended up meeting a man from Greensboro, NC so we ended up chatting for a bit too. It's never a simple, "I'm going from Alaska to NC," you always have a bit of explaining to do. We were interrupted by a lady trying to sell us some jewelry. So I finally hit the road, hoping to make to as far north into New Mexico as I could, with a stop being in Taos, NM. Well that never quite happened because I either took a wrong turn or missed my turn completely. I was bummed about that, but the route I did end up taking was quite beautiful. Leaves were turned and many of them had already fallen to the ground. All day I was surrounded by these incredible rock formations- very rich colors thanks to the sun and scattered clouds today. Anyways, the route I took put me about 60 miles west of where I wanted to be here in Colorado, but that is just fine. After my pit stop, the weather turned pretty nasty. As I was climbing the mountain, the rain quickly turned to snow- brought back memories of BC, Canada. It continued off and on until finally I hit dry pavement. I'm here in a town called Alamosa, Colorado. It's a decent sized town- they even have a Family Dollar! It leaves me with about 120 miles to cover til I reach Pueblo, CO, my stopping place for the next few nights. My friends are nice enough to give me an actual bed to sleep on for a bit, so that will be greatly appreciated!! I will try to post some pictures in the morning- the internet is working so well here! I missed out on the fair back home with the family tonight- I guess my sopapilla I had with dinner tonight is the closest I'll come to fattening fried foods with goodness on top! Hope yall ate well for me. I guess I will call it a night now since there isn't exactly much else to do... I'll wake with the sun again I'm sure! Oh yea, for the trip, I was only expecting to average about 16 miles per gallon, and I have been calculating each time I fill up. Well, today I hit an all-trip high. Over the course of 200 miles, I averaged 23 miles/gallon!! I was so excited. Too, I have driven 5200 miles as of this moment. That's all for now.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Laura,

I just wanted to let you know that if you run short of funds let me know. I don't have much but I'll help you all I can. You have my email or you can call me at work. You know the number. I'm still at the same place that I was when I met you.

see you soon
Dave

Unknown said...

Boogie,

I just had a chance to catch up on your weblog that you've been posting on the internets. Sounds like a pretty eventful/awesome trip you've got going so far. Can't say I'm not jealous. However, I've got a couple of things:
1. That picture with Rachel's footprints walking down to the ocean confirms that yes, she is a primate that has 4 hands with which to walk.(I hope she washed her hands after walking through Vegas before her meals).
2. Did you happen to see Kimmy Gibbler or perhaps Danny walking Comet Tanner in SanFran? Welcome to "The Rock" (in Sean Connery's voice).
3. I'm glad you made it to Colorado to see the Grand Canyon (thanks mom).
4. You're such a wiley vet when it comes to stolen bikes! Just like the guy in Raleigh, I bet the guy that stole your bike in Vegas is also real short, and very old-looking for his age.

Unknown said...

PS - Thanks for the shirt. It's a good one. Safe travels...