About Me

This is my attempt to chronicle my journey from one edge of this country to the other; my 8,000 mile adventure from Alaska to North Carolina. Having woken up each day of the last 5 years in a place that most only ever dream of seeing, I am forever changed by the experiences those years have brought my way; the people I have met, the places I have been, and the images of pristine beauty that are forever burned into my memory.

Where I'm Headed!

Monday, October 8, 2007

Oh, Portland...


So we've had quite the entertaining time here in Portland, and not necessarily in the good way. We've seen everything from homeless Elvis to Betty Ford. We has the misfortune of sleeping in two locations last night after getting kicked out of the first. We drove around Portland for a while in search of a good place to call home for the night. We ended up in the parking lot of Staples stealing internet and getting on the truck stops website. Sure enough, there was a truck stop less than two miles away. Perfect, we thought! So off we went to the Jubitz truck stop, which I have now come to hate. We tried to go in the truck parking area, but were denied entry because our rig was not quite long enough (but almost). So we decided to hang out in the parking lot and we found a nice little spot to call home, or so we thought. We went in to brush our teeth and get ready for bed. We rearranged our living quarters (picture stuff piled in the front seats as high as the roof) to allow for us to sleep in the back. We were ready for bed. We climbed in the back and passed out. Two hours later, we were rudely awaken by a portly hotel rent-a-cop (securitas if you will) tapping on the windows and shining a light on us. Oh shit I thought, Rachel, Rachel, are you awake? What do we do?!?! He began reciting pretty loudly- CANT SLEEP HERE!! Damn, I should just open the door and talk to him. So I did. Mind you, we are looking a hot mess. He said we needed to leave, so I asked him if he knew of anywhere we could sleep for the night. He said try the next street over, cause that's where all the semi's go that we kick out of here. So off we went, one whole block over, to find the reject parked along side the street. We pulled in behind a nice large semi-truck and again fell asleep. Now we needed a shower. That was another adventure, but to make a long story short, the ritzy RV park wouldn't allow us to pay to use their showers so went ended up at McDonald's brushing our teeth, changing clothes, etc. As I went to the counter to purchase something as a courtesy for us using their bathroom, the hispanic ladies we speaking about "las mujeres in el bano (or, the ladies in the bathroom!!) " I just laughed and walked out. We walked around downtown today for a bit and are going to see the stripper joint that is supposedly shaped like a jug. Then we are off to Eugene to visit a friend of mine and then we will be heading over to the coast an on to North California for the night- this time in a KOA campground! Portland has metro-wide free wireless which is super nice- but we are going to find a shower for real now so I am signing off.

1 comment:

jesyka said...

haha. this is hilarious!