About Me

This is my attempt to chronicle my journey from one edge of this country to the other; my 8,000 mile adventure from Alaska to North Carolina. Having woken up each day of the last 5 years in a place that most only ever dream of seeing, I am forever changed by the experiences those years have brought my way; the people I have met, the places I have been, and the images of pristine beauty that are forever burned into my memory.

Where I'm Headed!

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Too busy doing nothing.



I've almost forgotten how to do all this! It's been quite sometime since I last posted, which means this may get long-winded. Sorry in advance. Wednesday morning I set out for Pueblo- my much anticipated destination for many reasons. I again hit snow as I pushed on towards the north. It didn't last for too long but was quite heavy at times. The winds were certainly howling the entire way however. It scares me to watch the big rigs not being able to maintain an even semi-straight path of travel! Far too many lane violations for my liking. I got to Pueblo right at lunch time and headed straight to the Nielsen's! I had really been looking towards to seeing those guys for a long time. I am so glad that everything worked out the way it did- it was just perfect. I got a bed, a spacious shower, a home-cooked meal (or two), and had a genuinely pleasant and relaxing time. It was exactly what I needed and wanted- just to hang out and laugh the time away. Little Ella is quite adorable I must say, and a busy body for sure. Wed and Thurs we just hung out, went downtown for a bit, and caught up while Kelly was at work. Fortunately, he was able to get Friday off from work so that we could all hang out for the day! So Friday we decided to go to a place called the Royal Gorge. It's claim to fame is that it has the world's highest suspension bridge. There's also a really neat inclined railway that takes you down to the bottom of the Gorge (this thing runs along a 45 degree angle!) and also a hanging bridge that supported a stretch of the railroad. The weather was absolutely beautiful while I was there- you know, Carolina blue skies, just as sunny as could be. Wind was blowing pretty hard all three days I was there and continues still here in Amarillo. It was nice to actually just relax for a few days- to not have to drive for a few days!! It ended up working out to where I was able to be there as Jason and Lori (another Enrollment employee!) stopped by to visit. They stayed the night last night and were gonna hang out a bit longer. I wish I could have stayed a couple more nights, but I have another friend to meet here in Dallas. We had a grand ol time last night reminiscing about our time at UAA and the memories we had from that place. Waking up the next morning with abs sore from laughing too hard the night before I'm guessing means you're pretty out of shape. Dang. A good time was had by all. It was really hard to leave today, but I had 350 miles to cover so I wanted to get started a little before the sun set on me. I ventured through Colorado, Oklahoma (for about 42 miles) and am now in Amarillo, Texas. I will explore this place briefly in the morning before heading to the Dallas area, about another 350 miles! I have another friend from UAA living there that I will be able to catch up with for a couple days! It certainly is warmer than I expected it would be this time of year. Really, I guess I didn't know what to expect, probably because every single one of these stops is a first for me! It's gonna be around 80 here tomorrow and I reckon that will keep up as I continue south and east. I guess we shall see. It's late and I'm tired. I was thinking of a lot to write earlier as I was driving, but every time I sit down to write, I lose it all- probably in the comfy-ness of the rear of my car! One of these days some more pics will appear on this site. Perhaps in the morning if my body wakes itself up early enough! Kelly and Amanda- thanks so very much again for everything. You have know idea how much I appreciated being able to see yall again. Yall were a big part of my life in AK and I know I'll see yall again in the somewhat near future. Give Ella some rocks for me! Adios.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Laura

If you can pick me up a shirt from Amarillo. I'll pay you back when you get home. I was there in August of 96 to see the quarter horse museum. I wear a medium. Thanks, take care

Dave