About Me

This is my attempt to chronicle my journey from one edge of this country to the other; my 8,000 mile adventure from Alaska to North Carolina. Having woken up each day of the last 5 years in a place that most only ever dream of seeing, I am forever changed by the experiences those years have brought my way; the people I have met, the places I have been, and the images of pristine beauty that are forever burned into my memory.

Where I'm Headed!

Monday, October 1, 2007

Internet at long last!


So this is my first attempt at this whole blog thing. I will do my best to keep updated regularly, assuming I can get internet access on a regular basis. Clearly I failed in posting last night- we got into Tok at 1am and were pretty exhausted. We had high hopes of leaving Anchorage early afternoon on Sunday, but because of my procrastination it was a little after 5 before we hit the highway. We hit some rain along the way and mom almost vomited several times because of nerves. Today she managed those nerves a bit better. I have not gone much over 60 mph since we started, making for some long hours. My poor car. I am beat right now- today I drove 8 hours straight- so yes we averaged a whopping 50mph- of course stopping a few times. Oh well. It is beautiful outside. A majority of the mountains are blanketed with snow, and lots of it. On the drive to Whitehorse today we did hit a few flurries, but nothing more than that. Mom was on edge after we talked to a few fellow highway drivers this morning at Fast Eddy's, only the best restaurant in all of Tok! One guy said he was snowed in around Ft. Nelson for a day and a half, so mom was a bit worried. Then, no more than 20 minutes later, two more guys said they had just come up from Washington and all was clear! Hmmm... who do we believe? The guy driving the Geo Metro who got stuck for over a day or the guys driving a Tahoe and pulling a big ol trailer? I could care less- kind of think the snow thing is fun, however mom would probably have an aneurysm if that happened. I do not know where our final destination will be tomorrow. We will play it by ear according to the weather. Today started out beautiful and was for a majority of the drive. It has begun to drizzle now and probably will continue for some time. After mom had a restless night sleeping, she decided to splurge for a motel room. It's quite the quaint little place. We looked around for some places in Whitehorse but it all appeared pretty sketch- especially since I'm leaving a lot hanging out on my car making myself a pretty big target for theft. So we drove a bit further to an RV/Motel place. There are beautiful pictures of horses on the wall and mom's watching a special about the world's largest man. Focus. So we haven't seen a lot of wildlife thus far. I saw a porcupine last night on the way to Tok as well as a moose, who I thought was standing dangerously close to the road. It's a good thing mom didn't see that one! Anyways, I am really scattered right now so I will write more, and more coherently perhaps in the morning. We both need a good nights rest. Here is a pic of how ridiculous my car looks! Oh yea, I'm frustrated with google right now because the lines I drew showing where we are on the map are not showing up when I insert the html stuff. Sorry!

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Laura,

I enjoyed reading your entries. Tell your Mom to 'hang in there'. She's got a good, level-headed daughter at the wheel.

Enjoy yourself. Can't wait to hear of your trip to Muncho Lake.

Take care,
Marilyn

Dave said...

Hey Laura,

Have a safe trip. See you in NC.

Dave

jesyka said...

I see him!

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

Hello Laura

I'm jealous! You got to see snow and I didn't. I'll write again later.

Dave

dad said...

I am enjoying your web site. Tell BJ to chill out, after all it is snowing. Do you need a passport to enter US from Canada by car? Molly and her team played a great practice game yesterday, beating the year up united team 1 to 0. Stay safe and use "GOOD JUDGEMENT".
Love you all, have fun. DAD. By the way, y'all are looking good today.