About Me

This is my attempt to chronicle my journey from one edge of this country to the other; my 8,000 mile adventure from Alaska to North Carolina. Having woken up each day of the last 5 years in a place that most only ever dream of seeing, I am forever changed by the experiences those years have brought my way; the people I have met, the places I have been, and the images of pristine beauty that are forever burned into my memory.

Where I'm Headed!

Monday, October 22, 2007

Anytown, America.


It's been a couple days, but these country roads have brought me to a little place called Cleburne, Texas. It's about 30 mins south of Fort Worth. Most importantly, my friend from college has taken up residence here and I have been able to spend time catching up with her! I've been so lucky to have made so many good friends during my time in Alaska and even luckier to have been able to meet up with so many along my way. I find myself laughing nonstop, and realizing that these friends are the reason I was able to stay in Alaska so long. And yes, five years is a long time! Especially when you are 5000 miles from anything you've ever known. I wish I could stay here visiting much longer, but ultimately realize that in order to get home and see my family I have to keep gradually heading East. I've enjoyed my time here, and the road that has gotten me here. My last 1000 miles or so have been virtually unchanging. Rolling hills, vast farms, herds and herds of cattle, small communities who support their local highschool more than any other one thing in the community, and people who work hard to make it in this world. It's a simple life, though not an easy life I'm sure. It certainly is refreshing to see after being in some of the cities I have visited. One of my friends recently put it quite nicely, in saying "indulgence isn't a word anymore, it's melted into normality." With that said, I have really enjoyed driving through Anytown, America and seeing people who manage to maintain a high quality of life for themselves without yielding to the excessive tendencies of our societies. Tomorrow I am headed to Austin, Texas and from there I will push on towards Mississippi as far as I can. Gulf of Mississippi will be my next resting place- I will be there for several days! I'm quite the lucky and blessed person to have been able to see the places I have and to b able to visit the friends I have made over the years. I look at the map and am quite sad that I am this far east already, having missed so many unique things to do and see in the west. There simply is no way to see and do it all! Pics to follow, I promise this time.

No comments: