About Me

This is my attempt to chronicle my journey from one edge of this country to the other; my 8,000 mile adventure from Alaska to North Carolina. Having woken up each day of the last 5 years in a place that most only ever dream of seeing, I am forever changed by the experiences those years have brought my way; the people I have met, the places I have been, and the images of pristine beauty that are forever burned into my memory.

Where I'm Headed!

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Oh, where do we even begin...


So we enjoyed our time in San Francisco, complete with a walk on the Golden Gate Bridge, walked down Haight Ave, and various other things. I developed two quite large blisters on the balls of my feet- ohhh about the size of a dime. Quite pleasant if you can imagine. We drove out of San Francisco on Friday evening, only to sit in traffic for two hours- really don't know how people could do that each and every day. We needed to cover a lot of miles, so we knew it would be a long night. We headed down towards Bakersfield and then onto Barstow. It was 2:30 am by this point but we saw a sign for a rest stop just 35 more miles ahead. We continued on, but only after jumping onto the most westerly point of Highway 40, which begins in lovely Wilmington, NC. We were curious if Barstow put up a sign indicating how many miles it is to Wilmington, as we have seen the Barstow sign in Wilmington a million times. We got onto 40 and sure enough, there was indeed a sign to Wilmington, NC- just 2554 miles away! That was pretty neat to be on the other end of this cross country highway. Oh doesn't man just do wonderful wonderful things (that's for you, Matt ;)). Anyways, we arrived at the rest stop, and well, it was somewhat lacking. Good thing we got there when we did because by morning, there was no running water. What was nice was the fact that is was in the middle of the Mojave desert, providing for a nice scenic backdrop. It left us only about 120 miles to Vegas, so we woke up and hit the road. Little did we know Vegas would have so many interesting experiences for us to be a part of. I cannot possibly include this all in one post, and my computer battery is dying, so we will save that for Vegas, part deux. To preview, my bike was stolen, Rachel and I have more dance moves to last a lifetime thanks to a handful of drunken, hearty dancers, and foot funk we can't seem to shake thanks to the filth of the Las Vegas Blvd.

No comments: