About Me

This is my attempt to chronicle my journey from one edge of this country to the other; my 8,000 mile adventure from Alaska to North Carolina. Having woken up each day of the last 5 years in a place that most only ever dream of seeing, I am forever changed by the experiences those years have brought my way; the people I have met, the places I have been, and the images of pristine beauty that are forever burned into my memory.

Where I'm Headed!

Sunday, March 23, 2008

That lighter shade of blue...


It's March. Almost April. That means but one thing. Well, a couple things I guess but I'll focus on but one of those. Basketball. College basketball to be more specific. I personally hate the NBA so I wouldn't be one to even guess where in the season they are. Nor do I care. All I'm familiar with is Carolina and the NCAA tournament. Raleigh was lucky enough to host first and second round games and Charlotte will host Sweet 16 and Great 8 games. There is no shortage of interest within this state for this sport, and there's no place I'd rather be. I remember in elementary, middle and on up to high school- begging the teachers to please let us watch the ACC and NCAA tournament games. Most often they honored our request, as they were itching to as well. School work could wait (this was of course before the oh so lovely no child left behind legislation from our lovely lovely president). The couch and I formed quite a bond (or further strengthened the bond we've been developing) this weekend as games carried on for more than 12 hours the first couple days, and almost as many on Sat. and Sun. I find myself getting worked up over games I ultimately don't care about. Or at least not the outcome. I do however, much like anyone else, really enjoy a good game. Perhaps this is why I don't like the pros. That and these kids play for nothing more than the name on the front of their jersey. Not for money.

Carolina pulled out enough wins, no matter how ugly, for the ACC tournament champion title. That was good enough for the No. 1 seed overall. Translation: first round games in Raleigh. Next venue, Charlotte. No real traveling until the Final Four. Homecourt advantage, if you will. First round, Mt. St. Mary's. No real threat but you just never know. Our biggest enemy it turned out on Friday night would be the rim (insert photo of Marcus Ginyard getting hung on a dunk attempt!). Luckily, walk-on Surry Wood made up for the less than spectacular jam by a pretty nasty alley-oop. Carolina won by 39. Next up, Arkansas. That was Friday, this was Saturday. Almost as much as I care about Carolina winning, I care about Duke losing. Typically I root for the conference and local teams, but I just cannot bring myself to root them on. I don't know what it is, but I despise them and actually like to see them cry when they lose (and crying they are good at). This all came true on Saturday. After almost being taken out by Belmont (exactly- who?) on Thursday, they were not able to escape the wrath of those scraggly West Virginians. I knew their luck was running out. If their 3's don't fall, they ultimately will. And did. I just wish UCLA would have lost too...

Sunday was to be an eventful day as well. Two North Carolina teams playing. UNC and that other school, Davidson. Davidson vs. Georgetown. I was excited for this game but ultimately thought the Hoyas would pull it off. Davidson had other plans and were determined to add to their 23-game winning streak. It was a phenomenal comeback and victory for them, and it leaves me worried that Carolina will eventually have to face them for a second time this season. I'd almost rather the Hoyas... After seeing all the near upsets on Sunday, I knew Carolina was not going to be taking another cake walk today. Arkansas is no joke- especially that man child who just wandered down from the mountain and still hasn't quite figured out where he is yet. It wasn't meant to be for them, as Carolina hardly led by less than 20 at any given moment. The third stringers got to play in yet another tourney game and Carolina won by 31. Through first rounds- Carolina: 221 Opponents: 151 That's pretty impressive I'd say. It's even sweeter knowing Duke will not be continuing on. I do almost feel bad for my brother who had Duke and Georgetown playing in the championship title game... but did you really think that would happen? Really? Duke? Come on. I think you meant that lighter shade of blue... it's too late for a re-do I reckon.

I hope Carolina keeps on clicking. For Thompson and Stepheson to have more perfect shooting nights. For Lawson and Thomas to combine for double-digit assists while committing no turnovers. For Hansbrough to keep on keepin on. For Green to continue his journey to re-discover his shot. It's mighty pretty when it all happens at once, I'm not gonna lie. And Ginyard, just a couple inches higher, I know he's got it in him. That rim can be a real bitch sometimes...

I will post more pics soon- mainly from Easter. We had a nice family gathering- nothing like 4 generations in one house. We sure are lucky. Adios for now.

No comments: