About Me

This is my attempt to chronicle my journey from one edge of this country to the other; my 8,000 mile adventure from Alaska to North Carolina. Having woken up each day of the last 5 years in a place that most only ever dream of seeing, I am forever changed by the experiences those years have brought my way; the people I have met, the places I have been, and the images of pristine beauty that are forever burned into my memory.

Where I'm Headed!

Thursday, November 1, 2007

A day worth writing about....


Well, I'm back in Mississippi. I had a really good stay in Florida, visiting with Carrie, Josh, Natalie and Mama Barb. Monday we went for a walk on the beach/pier. Tuesday we hung out at the house, and later went to pick out a few pumpkins! Wednesday we ventured to Pensacola, my fault, in search of a couple stained glass shops. We found one, thank goodness, and hit the jackpot. They had everything I needed to get back into stain-glassing-it (poor Carrie, Barb, and Natalie had to suffer in a car all day with me not knowing where I was going!!)! If I had to pick a place to live the rest of my life, and my choices were the mountains or beach, the choice would be simple. Well, Jonah and I are discussing that now, but my choice would be the beach. This morning I watched the sun rise from the ocean. Nothing obstructed my view. Nothing at all. Nobody walked by me, and all I heard was a swooshing noise as the birds flew by, furiously flapping their wings. I'm not gonna lie, it was probably one of the better things I have witnessed on this journey (Vegas, you can have your gaudy gold monstrosities that obstruct my view!). And a journey it has been. I don't feel as if it's ending, as I still have a week to go, but I feel like I'm home. I feel like I am one of the luckiest people on this earth at this moment in my life. For the past 5 years of my life, actually. It was one hell of an experience, that journey to a foreign foreign land. Yes, Dad, you told me that I thought I knew everything there was to know in the world at the ripe old age of 18, as I stepped onto my first flight ever. You were right. And thank God I thought I knew it all, cause otherwise I would have never ended up in that place. That place where I experienced things that most never will. That place where I met people who will be a big part of my life for the rest of my life. That place that made me appreciate my incredible family more than I ever would have had I never left the great state of North Carolina. Those people that think they know it all only convince themselves of that so that they are more comfortable taking leaps they otherwise wouldn't. Don't persuade them otherwise, unless in extreme circumstances. Today Carrie and I drove to New Orleans to pick up her car that was shipped from Alaska. We drove around New Orleans a bit before heading out. We cruised through the French Quarter and surrounding areas, which all pretty much seemed to be in okay shape. Lots and lots of adorable little houses, vibrantly painted some of them. I liked what I saw, except for the scattered tents, somewhere around 30 of them, on a hillside that quite a number of people appeared to call home. I won't get into the politics of Hurricane Katrina, nor the after-response on this blog because that is not a function that this serves. New Orleans is a place that I would like to return to as well. I came back to Jonah's and will be here for 5 more nights, or roundabouts there. We got into a bit of arts-and-crafts tonight and had a real good time. I could do this the rest of my life, can someone support me?? Haha. No, really though. Watching people do something that they have never done before and really enjoy themselves doing it is quite refreshing. That was tonight. I do not know what tomorrow has in store for me, perhaps a little cleaning of Jonahs house so we can get some things accomplished this weekend. I have to pick up my CV joint tomorrow too so Jonah can try and fix that on Saturday. That poor guy has had to deal with more of my car problems than anyone should ever have to- but he loves it, I have convinced myself ;) That's all I have for now. Hopefully I can position myself in this recliner just right so that I can steal internet from the poor man across the street. Seriously, we are catching a faint ray or something- it's pretty ridiculous! Adios for now.

Laura

5 comments:

Dave said...

Laura

That picture of the sunset was absolutely beautiful. You are sure lucky to have the opportunity to see this country like you have. See you soon.

Dave

BJ Thomas said...

Hi Laura!
Your pictures and postings are beautiful! You have seen some of the places I have dreamed of seeing.We are all enjoying them as we trudge through our daily routines....be safe...I'm glad you're east of the Mississippi and will be home soon. Thanks, Jonah, for fixing Laura's car...again. See you soon LP.
Love and kisses,
Mom

Unknown said...

i loff you and i can't wait to see you, one more week!!!!

Unknown said...

I'll go to Austin with you if you want to go back, anytime. But due to our agreement about the whole road trip thing, we will need to fly.

Dave said...

laura

I see rachel got a two seater broom.

Dave